Wednesday, January 23, 2013

... More Family room

So it was a really short weekend, little things that you think will take an hour, then become your entire day. The last post was about how little details are really important, this post is not any different; after DBF finished installing all the molding, it was time to finish the job, that means caulk and paint.

Below is our family room the day we first saw the house, no molding, sage green walls and white ceiling, fireplace with a gold trim, a sample of a mantel, and a window with no paint on it, just natural wood (you can't see the window in this picture).


 Now there is white molding complementing our energizing butter yellow. The real difference between I never installed molding/ I don't know what I am doing/ no idea what is going to look like, and here is to our professional installed looking molding is called caulk, you can really see the difference in the picture below, still not painted but it looks much better than the "before caulk" picture.



 And then, there is the fireplace, I love the fact that we have a fireplace, but lord, I didn't like the way it looked before. I have a love hate relationship with gold in decorations, some times it looks great, some other times it looks, well, cheap.


Dear fireplace, I like you but with some TLC you can be much better

Since the doors were usable, and as I later will discover almost new, I took them off to clean before applying some spray paint love, and as I got to work I realized the very "normal" people that used to own the house forgot to take the plastic cover off the metal, which means, burnt plastic and a lot more work for me, see:

plastic covering the brass


Why will they do that?

 
Pretty, right? New fireplace doors for just $7.99

When I got tired of trying the almost impossible, or maybe possible but not worth it, I just put the two doors in the dishwasher, gave them a good sanding and then used less than a can of Rust-Oleum high heat spray paint for $7.99. Here is what we have now :-) 










Next for the fire place will be a lovely mantel, can't wait! 

And last but no least, the window, oh the window; remember the cracks, tiny little nail holes and unfinished wood? well, that is no more.



I really love these girls now




And that is all we got to do during the weekend, no that we could have done anymore, there is no furniture yet, but part of it have been ordered and the rest will be purchased soon. We are also adding some molding to the window by the fireplace; for some mysterious reason, DBF understood that I did not want molding there, can you imagine me saying something like that?

Now, lets see:


Before:

 Now:

I am going to miss my sofa; a HUGE comfortable/bulky looking sectional with recliners have been ordered. Any guesses who's decision that was?

 Stay tuned for more family room love.

Sobe

2 comments:

  1. Wow! That is truly an impressive transformation!! You are quite talented Sobe and the best part is that you achieved this without any major spending! I'll keep checking on this blog as I am truly curious as to what you are going to do next :)

    A.

    ReplyDelete