A couple of weeks ago, at the same time that we were working on the living room, we decided to embark in the: "Lets have a welcoming entrance project", lets see how things are turning out.
The first thing we had to do was to figure a way to get rid of all the silicone and to fill all the holes, cracks, dents, etc. We had two options: 1- take the drywall down and do it again or 2- Spackle, tons of spackle. We went with option #2.
The pink spackle is pretty isn't it? I love that I know when the spackle is dry and ready to be sanded, it changes to white.
|All the white you see here is spackle, already dry and sanded, the pink is about the 3rd , maybe 4th coat, I lost count.|
And I have to admit, there were times that I felt like just hammering the entire structure down and start all over - what to do with the disaster below? Spackle, sand, spackle, sand, more spackle, sand some more. Insane!
Here is what my idea was back in the summer, last year... Not much as you can see, just plain white and gray walls. Please disregard the Asian style console, it was the only fitting piece of furniture available through the application I was using. Also, the stairs are a dream for now, it is all carpeted and is going to stay like that for a while, we dislike the carpet much but we have to focus on one project at a time, it will help us keep the little sanity we have.
In my concept, (pictured) I wanted to open up the space under the stairs and use it as an office nook but unfortunately, we do not have a baseman, therefore that is a much needed storage space.
I have always loved dramatic colors, and I wanted to create drama as people come into the house, the choice for the entryway was a very dark blue (what a surprise, blue again) accented with the same very dark blue glittery stripes, which translate to a lot of measuring and painters tape.
When applying the tape, you have to be very careful because all imperfections will definitely show and if one stripe is bigger than the other, it will also show. It takes a lot of measuring and patience to do it.
|I couldn't find my ruler so I took a drive (what a sacrifice) to HomeGoods and brought |
back one of the disposable ones they have in the store
Here is the wall all ready for the glittery stripes, the blue in the painters tape looked so pretty that I almost wanted to leave it just like that, and DBF was loving it so much that he might have repeated about 100 times how much he liked the two blues together, to just leave it.
The trick to using painters tape, so I learned from reading numerous blogs, is to use the same color as the base color before painting with the accent color, that way the tape will be sealed to the wall with the same base color and there will be no bleeds. So I started to do just that, using a lot of paint to make sure to get a good seal... but maybe too much and panic started to settle when I noticed the painters tape starting to wrinkle. OH NO! Maybe I was applying too much paint so I changed how much paint I was using, more is not always better.
Wise decision since the tape stopped wrinkling, at that point I wish I would have listened to DBF and keep the wall just like it was, all blue taped.
The next step was to apply the glittery paint, made by mixing the Valspar signature paint with Valspar Paint Crystals. What I love about mixing my own, is that you can decide how much glitter you want to use, but I love glitter so I obviously used a lot :-) So much that the walls looked "silverish" gray instead of the dark sparkled blue I wanted to achieve.
Instead of getting disappointed, I just decided to settle for whatever color the outcome after the paint cures would be, then after removing the tape right way, because I know better that if left there for long the paint will peel when taking off the tape, I was very cautious when removing the tape too, but regardless, the paint started to come off where spackle had been applied, yes, I made the stupid mistake and didn't primed the walls, again. If you might remember, I didn't prime the family room and it ended up costing me 5 coats of paint. I think I have finally learned my lesson, prime Sobe, always prime.
Not a good feeling, if you know what I am talking about.
All the hard work, gone to waste. Impossible!
I had to rush out to "Family fun day", there was not time for fixings. That night after returning home, I started to feel much better; the "silverish" gray was turning into darker blue and, no matter how much patience was needed, I was determined to fix the chips, instead of painting everything over.
It took a good deal of patience but we got it done. No painters tape was needed, just the small angle brush and some of the same paint colors used, oh, you also need to hold your breath for what it seems like eternities at a time in order to be able to control your pulse.
The sparkled color is still not the final color, its been a couple of weeks after these pictures were taken, after the paint cured it became a few tones darker.
There is a lot more progress done to what is shown in this post. Right now we are painting the coat closet and pantry doors which were just as you can see in the picture below.
New flush light fixtures are being installed so stay tuned to see the reveal on the next entryway post.
|Here one coat of primer is already applied.|
I in the other side, have been very busy planting flowers as a continuation to all the bulbs planting I did in the fall, setting up raised beds and starting vegetables and flower seeds indoors.
We cant wait to have everything ready to show you guys in another post.
Until next time,