Wednesday, April 3, 2013

The Living Room

The living room have been our "mess" room shortly after we moved in. Every time we were working on an area of the house, things would get moved to "there"; I don't know what logic we have been using to do that, there is a big picture window from which our neighbors can see the entire dinning room and living room, yet, it was a big mess for months.

Maybe because it is close to the front door but any package that will get delivered to the house will end up in the living room, that includes ladders, power tools, huge boxes with furniture, you name it. I am certain that until last weekend our neighbors thought we were the hoarders of the blog; the window is big, yet, there were so many boxes pilled up that you couldn't see anything inside, only cardboard and cans of paint. 





Here is a picture of part of the LR how it was, yuk, there is the green again; don't get me wrong, I like green, but that color is not my taste, it's just blah, unispiring. 

To the right is the picture window, I am convinced that the window might be one of the reasons I liked the house when we first saw it. I love light, tons of natural lights, dark rooms depress me. I need light in my life, I don't even like to watch TV in the dark at home and I like to keep tons of lights on at night, now when it comes to sleep I really need total darkness, weird, isn't it? 

I had a vision of the living room, maybe inspired by all the light. I saw it in blue and white and maybe a "redish" orange accent. 

 I also decided that I wanted to add some antique or vintage piece, might it be a chair, a chandelier, something, so using the iPad program I designed the room in the pictures below.





Then while hunting for that "vintage" piece, I came across these turquoise chairs on Craigslist, I still cant believe I paid what I paid for a pair of old chairs, $150 a piece; I was so excited about my find but then soon after I bought the chairs, I discovered thrift shop shopping. I was so disappointed that I paid so much money for them, I quickly fell out of love... To help my broken love, DBF doesn't like them, my FMIL (future mother in law) tried to talk me out of buying them, she went with me to pick them up, I am stubborn, so I got them anyway. To be honest I am glad I did, but every time I look at them I also think about the other, much bigger, nice, vintage chair I got at the thrift for $15, I want to cry.  

As seen on Craigslist, this is the picture from the ad. These two are the first
thing I got us for our house, a year ago! 

I had even forgotten about the chairs, they were pilled up in a corner in the garage.

After painting the LR, and being tired of having a love seat purchased and in its box for 32 days, I made my way to HomeGoods, on the hunt for chairs and then there it was at HG, the magnificent rug with colors that will match the other pieces I have been "hoarding" for the room, which at this point was turning more monochromatic (blue) than the white and blue I had originally dreamed of. 

Well, I did not buy the rug, I was not sure if it was too big, so I made my way home that Friday night, the rug was in my head all night and the entire day on Saturday so I woke up bright and early on Sunday, and made my way to Pier1 Imports to find chair and try to forget about it because let me tell you, if you see something at HG, grab it by a leg or by wherever but don't leave it for later, you will regret it, the chances of finding it again are almost 0.

I did not find the chairs that I was looking for at Pier1, but I did find the wall art that would perfectly go with the area rug I did not get at HomeGoods. It is made of glass mosaics, it has texture, color, flowers (yet not feminine) so beautiful. It was on clearance, which made it super better but, I did not get that rug which meant no art, unless there rug was still at HG?? Could it be? At about 7 miles away, I had to check.


To my delight, the rug was there and I purchased it, then back to Pier1 and the art was still there, it was meant to be!!!!  

Not to make this post so much longer, I will leave you with some pictures of how things turned out to be, BTW, after I got the rug and wall art, I remember the chairs and they go perfectly with the room set up, so I don't regret getting them, even though I regret paying that much :-).









The kids  cats seem to approve, the minute the LR was done they moved all their belongings there, they even took a chair each. I assume that they used logic: Two cats, two chairs, it must be one for each 






Things that need to be changed: 
  • The fan, do not like ceiling fans inside a house at all, unless I live in the Caribbean, Florida or an island. 
  • There is a side of the LR you don't see, not point, there is nothing in there, I have an idea of what I want, will post that later
  • Add more curtain panels to the window. DBF doesn't like that people can see inside the house, when we are having dinner it give us the feeling that there is people looking at us, still, I don't want to add blinds, so more see-through white panels it is, that way people will only be able to see silhouettes.
  • The bench doubling as a coffee table needs to go, it's only in there temporarily as I borrowed it from the family room, we are looking for something similar but not so narrow. 
  • I need a comfy chair for the empty corner you see in the picture. 
I hope you liked the post, share, comment, re-post, and don't forget, if you have any questions, ask away! 

Until next time,



Sobe



No comments:

Post a Comment